Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sewing Sunday

Hey, I'm remembering to update promptly; go, me! No pictures though, so it's a boring update.

Currently I'm knee-deep in the early 19th-century...next Sunday there's a group of us taking a trip to Riversdale House in Maryland, and since it was built in the early years of the century, naturally we're dressing Regency. As you might know, I've got quite a sufficiency of warm-weather Regency dresses...but I want something new! As usual. To that effect, I've got a light blue, lightweight linen spencer half-finished, and silk in the mail for a new, simple bonnet.

And I'm still poking away at the other Regency bonnet I'm making for a friend...it's at the be-flannel-ing stage now.

And I've been really starting to collect my thoughts and materials for the Six Wives project, which I don't think I've talked about here. The Ren Faire in our area has changed their scenario for this year - they've always done QEI, but this time they're changing it up to Henry VIII. And some friends and I thought it would be fun to do the Six Wives (yes, the scenario is set in 1525, but it's not like the Ren Faire is this paragon of accuracy that we're disrupting...); I picked Katherine Parr, partly because my first Tudor dress was c1530s and I want to try a farthingale this time! We chose our ladies in February, and yes, I've been keeping Katherine in the back of my mind since then! We'll probably go in October, so as to not roast in our velvets and furs.

As I said, I've started collecting my materials, and I've been on the hunt for a suitable damask for the gown for months...now I'm waiting for my swatches to get here. Hopefully one of those will work! Katherine's going to be a compromise of "as accurate as I can make her with the info I have and materials I can afford". That is, when I'm Doin' It Wrong, I want to know why I'm Doin' It Wrong!

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

1913-15 suit

Mentally I've already moved on to the next (Regency) event, so it feels a bit disruptive to go back to the 20thc, even if it was only a few days ago! So you get a quickie post without too much narration.

(All photos in this post are courtesy of In the Long Run, unless otherwise noted.)

This past Saturday, I went to the Winterthur estate in Wilmington, Delaware to see their Downton Abbey costume exhibit. Here's our group shot - there were quite a lot of us this time!

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Teens outfit coming along

But I'm in crunch time, and I need to sew more than I need to blog!

I'm in wearable shape - the hat and blouse are finished...
Yes, it's a demented pirate hat.
...the petticoat is finished (it still needed a waistband), and the skirt will be finished as soon as I finish sewing the snaps on. I wanted a jacket as well but I don't know that that's going to happen in three days, all of which I work!

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Sewing this week

Let's try to get back into a weekly update here, shall we? Mmm-hmmm, we'll see about that!

As you know, half this week was spent hunting the camera cable and recovering from Fort Fred, but I did manage to do a couple sew-y things, besides washing and putting away all my things from Fort Fred. (This doesn't always happen in a timely fashion, so it's noteworthy!)

First, I darned the hole in my striped petticoat that I wore to Fort Fred. Where did the hole come from? Who knows! Very Mysterious. But now it's all Authentick and Liv'd In, or something.

And then I worked on the mockups for my 19-teens skirt and blouse. I'm going to see the Downton Abbey costume exhibit at Winterthur Museum in Delaware with my friends on May 17th, and of course we're dressing for the occasion! And of course I need something new.

I've had some light blue wool in the stash that's wanted to be a teens suit for forever, and I bought a light blue and white rayon print to use for the blouse. I decided to be clever and wait to do the jacket til after I make the skirt and blouse first! That way at least I'll have a wearable outfit even if I don't finish the jacket in time.

Mockups are as follows. Not at their best in old sheet and cheap muslin, and I didn't put cuffs or collar on the blouse (because why bother), but it's a general idea!
Both started out as modern "Big 3" patterns; the blouse as a giant ugly McCall's, and the skirt as one of those 6-in-1 Simplicity patterns. Both have gone through quite a bit of tweaking, and the front pleats in the skirt are from a little diagram in the front of Patterns of Fashion 2.

Hopefully next week I'll be posting a mostly finished outfit! (Ha. Ha. Ha.)